Wednesday 11 June 2014

Duffle bag


At the same time I purchased the Alexander Henry Zahara print fabric, I also brought his Somerville, Sloane in Sienna. The fabric is really stunning, the picture doesn't do it justice. 


Again, I purchased the fabric with no idea as to what it would become. I initially thought it would make a good t-shirt, but eventually decided on a bag. 

Being a new mum my handbag has gone from a simple clutch with essentials such as phone & keys, to a suitcase full of nappies, spare clothes, wipes bottles etc....
So a bag I would use on a daily basis would need to be large. 

I have had for a while a pattern for a duffle bag, purchased from Etsy. 
The bag looked large and the pattern instructions clear with lots of pictures. 


The Sienna fabric had an aubergine/eggplant base colour so I thought this would be a good lining colour to match. I purchased Moda eggplant solid via www.fabricrehab.co.uk and a matching eggplant zip. 


There was an option of adding inside pockets, but it's not something I use on my current bag so I decided to skip that step. 

The sides of the bag were interfaced and the bottom was batting and quilted. 


The instructions were straightforward to follow. I think I used the wrong material for the base as my bag had a saggy bottom. My dad suggested a sturdy piece of material at the bottom of the bag to stop any sags. I found a plastic folder so I cut a wide strip and placed it between the outer and the lining and the saggy bottom disappeared (thanks dad :). 

The sides were a bit fiddly to attach to the bottom piece and it took a bit of readjusting. I think I may have cut the bottom a little too long, but the instructions explain how to solve the excess material problem. 

I just love the fabric and a large bag shows it off really well I think. Eggplant has become my new favourite colour! I call this my Mary Poppins bag as it is so big inside and the colours remind me of the large carpet bag Julie Andrews uses in the film.  



The pattern includes a child size duffle but I used the adult size, which comes out the size of a weekender bag. 

You can find the pattern on Etsy just search for duffle bag pattern. The seller is ginia18. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment