Monday 2 June 2014

All things Alexander Henry

So let me start with a confession...I'm obsessed with Alexander Henry fabric! Not the cheapest of fabric but definitely worth the pennies. There are so many amazing designs that suit an array of projects. 

I was at a craft show at Olympia earlier in the year and spotted this Zahara fabric on the Fabric Galore stand. Beautiful isn't it. 

I have since discovered it comes in hot pink! (Added to my wish list :) 


I didn't have a clue what I was going to make with the fabric I just knew I had to have it. I changed my mind so many times, from cushion to quilt to table runner to lampshade, but really I just didn't want to cut it up. Finally I decided a dress would be ideal. 

Now I have never made a dress before so I was taking a risk in using my nice (expensive) fabric on my first attempt. A few weeks before I had a go at making my first garments - a t-shirt & a skirt - with mixed results (more about those on a separate post). 

Like many people I was glued to the latest series of the Great British Sewing Bee and purchased the book to accompany the series Sew Your Own Wardrobe. 


The book is nicely illustrated and for a beginner is not as daunting as the paper patterns. There is a wide variety of items and full sized patterns pieces so no resizing on the photocopier required. There are however a few mistakes in some of the patterns which an experienced sewer will spot straight away, but for us beginners it's an added challenge. 

I chose the simple shift dress pattern, which include princess seams and a concealed zip. Although it's nowhere near perfect, it was a fun piece to make and wearable.

 

Now if I was experience enough I would re make with added neon yellow bias binding around the hem line sleeves and neck line to make it a little more funky. But I won't try to run before I can walk ;) 

Still think this fabric would make a lovely quilt. Maybe I should buy some more.....



No comments:

Post a Comment