Tuesday 28 October 2014

Sewloft Patterns - Diana Cami

Sewloft patterns is a website set up 2 years ago by Lauren to sell her independent pdf dressmaking patterns for women. I came across the website earlier this year and loved all the patterns available. I downloaded the free Diana Cami pdf to see how I got on with the instructions and lay out.


Life (as always) got busy and I only recently got round to sewing the cami together. Since I first found the website it has gone through a lot of changes. The company has now been renamed Spit Up & Stilettos and can be found here. They have changed focus and are now offering a variety of projects, not just sewing. An explanation for the change in direction can be found on this blog.
Even better news is that now all patterns on the website are free, yes thats right FREE! No catch, no time limit, download and enjoy whenever you fancy :) I am already thinking about potential fabrics for the Harper blouse and the Emma pant!




Anyway, back to the Diana cami. There are not too many pieces to cut out, just the front and back piece and the bias binding for your edges and straps. There seems to be a lot of pages to print out, but that is because there are a lot of instructions. The step by step intructions are really detailed with great photographs, which is what I find great about the independent pattern makers.



For the fabric I wanted to try something striking for a change as most of my wardrobe is filled with safe colours and a lot of grey marl (my favourite). I recently ordered some fabric from Fabric Land.I had come across Fabric Lands website before but had never really got much further than the home page as the bright yellow pages and flashing/blinking/moving icons put me off. Its also difficult to get a good image of the fabric. The sight is very popular and when I had time to get my head around the website I placed an order.

Fabric Land encourage you to order samples of their fabrics as items can not be returned once cut. I wasn't placing a big order so I took a gamble and order based on the website description and was very pleased with my purchases. Unfortunately there isn't any options for online payment for goods, but orders can be taken efficiently over the phone. Postage depends on weight of your parcel once they have packed it so bear that in mind when ordering.

I found this bright neon pink leopard print stretch t-shirting fabric called 'Funky Daze'! Now the Sewloft pattern is not for stretch materials, I knew this but still decided to try and at £3.99 a meter it wasn't a big deal if it ended badly and the material wasn't super stretchy.

Once cut out the main body of the piece was simple and quick to put together. The bias binding however, proved more time consuming. This was my fault for choosing a stretchy fabric and I am going to try again with a cotton next time. 




I was really pleased with the end result. It is a low cut top and I wear it with a white vest underneath. This pattern is a great every wear for the summer months. I shall be making more.

No comments:

Post a Comment