Monday 28 July 2014

A Simple Kimono


I never have enough cardigans. When you are rooting through your wardrobe for that cardy that will go with the rest of your outfit, the perfect item can not be found!

All of my cardigans are jersey/stretch material and as I am nowhere near being able to tackle these fabrics on my sewing machine I never considered making one. 

I recently took a trip to Walthamstow just to 'browse' the fabrics not to buy of course. I then returned home with this bundle :)

 

I loved the grey floral fabric. I brought 2 meters for £1.65 per meter! Amazing price huh! 

I was flicking through Pinterest after my shopping trip looking for some inspiration for what to do with my new fabric, when I stumbled across a simple Kimono pattern. 

The tutorial was on the Elle Apparell blog found here.


The tutorial was well illustrated and looked straight forward so I thought I would give it a go. 

The blogger used a gorgeous silk material for her kimono which hangs beautifully. My material was a poly cotton and didn't hang as well. 

The pattern pieces are cut based on your own measurements which is explained clearly. The neck and hem are cut curved free hand. I was nervous when cutting but it came out ok. 


The author uses a rolled foot hem to finish her edges but I just turned up a narrow hem and machine hemmed. 

What do you think of the finished product?? 


No comments:

Post a Comment